Friday, January 21, 2011

What to do?

This weekend the windchills have slipped into the negatives... brrr! So I am staying inside as much as possible with the exception of going to my mom's house so that she can help make make 8 ragdolls for Gabi's girl scout troop members. How can I do crafts? Well, I am legally blind, not completely blind. Basically, I have tunnel vision. This means I cannot see people stand next to me or little children standing directly in front of me. With my glasses I have perfect vision. What a cruel irony huh? But at least I can see my children's beautiful faces, the beauty of nature, read my beloved books, and do my crafts.

My oldest asked me the other day "Mommy, why did you have to be blind?" How do you answer that question? So I thought for a minute and replied "I don't know baby, but maybe it is supposed to make you grateful for the things you have and make you feel compassionate for others who don't have what you have." She thought for a minute and said "I am friends with the autistic kids in my class when other people ignore them." I couldn't say a word but hugged her silently then pulled away, looked into her eyes and said "I am very proud of you." Of course she blushed, but it was true. My nine year old little girl is growing up so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment